This family favorite is loaded with all the goodness of autumn. The pumpkin and spice aroma fills the house as it bakes, making it difficult to wait for the golden loaves to come out of the oven!
3 loaf pans
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oil
- 2/3 cups cold water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin (may use one 15oz. can)
- 1 1/2 cups nuts (optional)
Combine dry ingredients.
Add oil, eggs, and water.
Stir with wooden spoon until thoroughly blended.
Stir in nuts (if desired).
Divide evenly between 3 greased and floured loaf pans.
Bake1 hour at 350⁰ or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove from pans and place on cooling rack until cool.
- To make this recipe healthier, you can reduce the sugar to 1 ½ cups and use ½ cup applesauce in place of ½ cup of the oil.
- If you like the taste of nutmeg and/or cloves, you can add 1/2 tsp. of each to the recipe.
- This recipe is made using fresh or frozen pumpkin, but you can also use 1 can of pumpkin. Fresh or frozen pumpkin tends to make a lighter bread.
- You can add raisins if desired.